Full program description
Course 1 (1.0 RID CEUs, PS)Having an understanding of the communication preferences of students is the cornerstone of providing effective services for deaf individuals. Effective communication affords deaf individuals the ability to give or receive information in a manner that is best for them and which will create opportunities for full participation in the programs offered by the institution. This course gives an overview of the key concepts in effective communication in postsecondary settings such as institutional responsibility under the law, coordinating communication access services using an interactive process, providing access via qualified service providers, and best practices when making accommodations decisions.
- identify the key components of an 'interactive process' and how to effectively utilize the information to coordinate communication access services.
- demonstrate knowledge and role of their institutions in providing effective communication access.
- demonstrate knowledge of key components of providing effective communication access for deaf individuals.
- identify interview questions that will elicit information to help determine appropriate accommodations in academic settings.
- identify potential challenges in determining effective accommodations and create potential proactive solutions.
Course 2 (1.0 RID CEUs, PS)
Providing effective communication access for deaf students requires knowledge of the range of auxiliary aids and services available. Professionals coordinating deaf-centered service can incorporate best practices by seeking qualified service providers and enacting policies and procedures that promote consistent, quality service. Throughout the course, participants will demonstrate knowledge of deaf-centered approaches to the following postsecondary practice areas:
- Frequently-requested accommodations
- Essential characteristics of qualified service providers
- Policies and procedures that support consistent, high quality service
- Common challenges and proactive solutions related to the provision of accommodations